Monday, March 25, 2013

Ancestry & HeritageQuest

1.To find out information about Titanic's two sister ships, I went to Immigration & Travel and then ship pics & Descriptions. I typed in Titanic and it brought up the Titanic as well as her two sister ships the Britanic, which never saw commercial travel as it was commandeered by the British Government and then sank. It also had the Olympic which was eventually a WWI service ship.

2.Trying to find info on Dirigible, the Hindenburg, was a little tougher. I think it was errors with my browser and not the database. but initially no matter what I typed in, I would get no results, then I tried going into the newspaper & publications a different way and was able to find 322 articles. I read a few and found them fascinating. This would work great for searches for historic events to see what the papers of the day wrote about it. Pretty cool!

3.Searching in HeritageQuest for history of Freeman, SD, I didn't find much info. I tried under books, and mostly what I found, was a person who was either from Freeman, or made reference to Freeman. I really didn't find much historical information. I then tried Persi and had pretty much the same results. I think if we would try a bigger town, that would be in more books we would have better luck.

1 comment:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Hi, fpl! You did a great job here. Glad you outfoxed the problem in looking for the Hindenburg and got some good results. I agree about looking up places--either a bigger town OR a larger geographical area. I wonder what happens if you search for your county....Thanks for your comments!