Monday, March 22, 2010

Gale Virtual Reference

I selected the Gale encyclopedia of Medicine and searched for Polycythemia. I found the information in here much easier to understand for a non-professional than the search I did in ProQuest. It was very easy to use and I can see the medical books being used a lot. Also kids needing to do papers would have a great resource here.

I used the same search term, Polcythemia, and had a few more options than I did in the first search. It was very nice to see the listen feature for non-readers, although I wouldn't want to listen to that voice very long!

There is a lot of neat stuff in Gale, if a person would just take the time to investigate it a little.

1 comment:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Thanks for your comments, fpl! We think GVRL adds to your print reference collection, plus it's available to patrons at home. You are right--the key is becoming familiar with the titles, just like with your print collection. I like the read-aloud for medical & scientific terms that look so unpronouncable!