Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WorldCat

I have skipped the Netlibrary chapter because I am having some technical difficulties, but will return as soon as it is up and running. I have used WorldCat in the past for ordering books and obtaining MARC records, but I never realized that there were other databases that you could search through!I also never saw before that you could cite your book through WorldCat. It will give you 5 versions of citations. I appreciate that when you search the SD libraries come up first and then the neighboring ones. That really helps in trying to keep material as close to in-state as possible without extra searching.Also having some full text articles in OAIster was nice, although I tried a couple of searches and had trouble getting exactly what I was looking for.

1 comment:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Hi, fpl! Thanks for your comments. The new databases in WorldCat are part of our new subscription with them through Minitex. Most of them are very scholarly, but OAIster is one you might find more useful for average patrons. Happy you could find something new in this ol' work horse!